7/18/2011

Mir - A Full Rigged Ship, from Russia


This sailing ship was in Stornoway Harbour for a few days last week.

It's a Russian training ship called the MIR, and is the largest sailing ship in the world.

The photo here is a photo of a postcard, but I wasn't able to get any photos of the ship in full sail and I wanted y'all to see it.

Aint she a beauty!

Before she sailed from the harbour today, our local Lewis Pipe Band played on the pier - for the benefit of the waiting crowd and of the crew on board the vessel.

 She's not called a Tall Ship for nothing, I tell you.

 Here are two of the masts, with the Russian flag blowing in our breeze.

 And here are the pipe band playing their final piece to see her off.

with the crowd waving enthusiastically to the crew.

 She is owned by the Makarov State Maritime Academy in St Petersburg, and left Stornoway today to head to the Shetland Isles. A new crew will replace this one in Lerwick.

 Isn't she beautiful?

This was taken from the BrĂ igh (for any who know the island), and the sails still hadn't been raised.

About an hour later, when I reached our own house, I saw here clearly passing the northern part of the island. She had all her sails up and was a wonderful sight.

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing...would have liked to have seen that in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love tall ships. We aren't far from a busy port. I had a job many years ago at a sailing center and I got to sail whenever I wasn't at the job. I loved it and it barely seems real now that I've been on dry land for so many years. The tall ships are so incredible. I had a friend who lived on one and worked as the librarian as the crew sailed the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a beautiful ship. It really doesn't seem that big, but I will believe you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing! I think a tall ship is one of the most beautiful sights there is. You're so lucky to be able to see her and from home even!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always wanted to see one with full sails. That is such a beautiful sight. I am so glad you took pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the tall ships are gorgeous - so hard to imagine setting out to explore the oceans in one. What trust and courage those men had!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! My boys would have loved to see that! They might have tried to sneak on as deckhands. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What a sight. I cannot imagine climbing up into the crows nest!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful ship! Thanks for sharing the pics, I love the postcard with all the sails up, gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful, she must be beautiful in full flight!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the sailing ships! I think they're in my blood! Thanks so much for sharing this with us! <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness! I would have loved seeing that beautiful ship in person! And hearing your local band playing, too! How fun!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails